In the News
Indoor Dust Contains PFAS and Other Toxic Chemicals (The Intercept | April 14, 2021)
A new study of indoor dust found PFAS and other toxics that can lead to infertility, diabetes, obesity, abnormal fetal growth, and cancers.
Mystery deepens over origin of dangerous chemicals found at massive gasoline spill (NC Policy Watch | March 30, 2021)
Mysterious discrepancies in test results between Colonial Pipeline and NC DEQ have raised questions about the origin of PFAS found at a major gasoline spill site in Huntersville, NC.
Can microbes save us from PFAS? (c&en | March 21, 2021)
Researchers are investigating whether microbes can help break down fluorinated contaminants as the organisms break down polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs).
PFAS in pesticides: ‘A problem of epic proportions’ (E&E News | March 5, 2021)
According to testing done by environmental watchdog group Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, PFAS are present in multiple publicly available herbicides and insecticides.
I tested my tap water, household products and cat for toxic ‘forever chemicals’ (The Guardian | February 23, 2021)
The extent of PFAS contamination is only now coming into focus. Here’s what I learned from investigating my home.
Pittsboro board pushes ahead with PFAS filtration system (Chatham News + Record | February 10, 2021)
Pittsboro leaders are working to address the town’s water contamination issues, but the price tag keeps rising.
CFPUA writes letter to state regulators over ‘apparent ineffectiveness’ of Chemours to reduce ‘mass loading’ of PFAS in Cape Fear River (WECT | February 9, 2021)
CFPUA expressed concerns about “ineffectiveness of measures Chemours has taken so far to reduce the mass loading of its PFAS into the Cape Fear River.”
Duke study finds high PFAS levels in Pittsboro residents’ blood (NC Health News | October 29, 2020)
The study says about 1 million people may be drinking water that contains PFAS contamination that originates in the Haw River and flows downstream into the Cape Fear River.
FDA Delays Setting Limits on PFAS in Bottled Water (Consumer Reports | October 28, 2020)
The agency relies on outdated research to explain why it’s ‘premature’ to regulate the toxic chemicals, despite pressure from consumer advocates and a major industry group.
NC Nonprofits Petition EPA over PFAS (Coastal Review Online | October 14, 2020)
A half-dozen public health, environmental and environmental justice groups are demanding a federal response to alleged corporation negligence in handling chemical compounds that they say are poisoning residents of the Cape Fear region.
California bans PFAS firefighting foams (c&en | October 1, 2020)
California is halting the sale, manufacture, and use of firefighting foam containing PFAS by 2022. It is also prohibiting 24 chemicals from use in cosmetics.
Why dangerous ‘forever chemicals’ are allowed in US drinking water (The Guardian | September 24, 2020)
The federal government has still not set limits for PFAS compounds, and some allege that could be because it is a polluter of them itself.
Some sparkling water brands have PFAS chemicals, study finds (CBS News | September 24, 2020)
Consumer Reports researchers examined more than 40 brands of bottled water and found that sparkling water was more likely to include higher levels of the PFAS than still water.
EU agency sets limit on PFAS in food (c&en| September 17, 2020)
Food regulators in the European Union have updated their guidelines for protecting consumers from four types of PFAS in food.
PFAS-laced water caused infertility, premature births and low birthweight, study says (StarTribune | September 11, 2020)
Residents who drank water polluted with PFAS experienced elevated rates of infertility, premature births and low birthweight babies due to the contaminants, according to a multiyear review of health records.
- EPA to ‘crowdsource’ new ways to destroy PFAS, local advocates say agency could be doing more (WECT | August 24, 2020)
- Chemours must keep PFAS from North Carolina river (c&en | August 17, 2020)
- NC Attorney General brings in national law firm for PFAS investigation (WRAL | August 12, 2020)
- FDA Announces Voluntary Agreement with Manufacturers to Phase Out Certain Short-Chain PFAS Used in Food Packaging (FDA | July 31, 2020)
- Newer PFAS compound detected for first time in Arctic seawater (Phys | July 29, 2020)
- Obesity, Infertility, and Low IQ Are Just Some of the Ways Household Chemicals Wreck Our Health (Gizmodo | July 22, 2020)
- Why limiting PFAS in drinking water is a challenge in the US (c&en | July 13, 2020)
- Boron nitride destroys PFAS ‘forever’ chemicals PFOA, GenX (Science Daily | July 7, 2020)
- PFAS chemical PFHxS targeted for restriction in the European Union (c&en | June 28, 2020)
- N.C. State study finds PFAS throughout Yadkin-Pee Dee River food chain (NC Health News | June 26, 2020)
- Scientists Pin Blame for Some Coronavirus Deaths on Air Pollution, PFAS, and Other Chemicals (The Intercept | June 26, 2020)
- US moves to exempt companies from reporting harmful chemical releases (The Guardian | June 24, 2020)
- EPA failed to monitor GenX chemical for eight years (The Fayetteville Observer | May 28, 2020)
- Bills Offer Options for PFAS Regulation (Coastal Review Online | May 20, 2020)
- PFAS restriction plan developing in EU (c&en | May 16, 2020)
- The toxic chemicals in our homes could increase Covid-19 threat (The Guardian | April 29, 2020)
- Incinerators may spread, not break down PFAS (c&en | April 27, 2020)
- Commonly used chemicals associated with miscarriage (Yale School of Medicine | April 23, 2020)
- Detailed Maps and Airborne Chemicals: How the PFAS Landscape Differs State-by-State (WXPR | March 26, 2020)
- Toxic ‘forever chemicals’ flow freely through this river — and now its fish (National Geographic | March 24, 2020)
- Pentagon cleanup of toxic ‘forever chemicals’ likely to last decades (The Hill | March 22, 2020)
- 3M Offers Researchers New Resources to Improve PFAS Testing (Bloomberg Law | March 19, 2020)
- Groups sue US military to stop PFAS incineration (C&EN | Feb 25, 2020)
- EPA Inches Toward PFAS Drinking Water Regulation (WAMC | Feb 24, 2020)
- High Levels of PFAS Affect Immune, Liver Functions in Cape Fear River Striped Bass (NC State News | Feb 7, 2020)
- New DEQ data show ‘staggering’ levels of PFAS in Cape Fear River basin (NC Health News | Feb 3, 2020)
- PFAS Contamination of Drinking Water Far More Prevalent Than Previously Reported (EWG | Jan 22, 2020)
- ‘Forever chemicals’ found in drinking water in dozens of cities (PBS News | Jan 22, 2020)
- Trump officials voice opposition to ‘forever chemical’ bill (The Hill | Jan 7, 2020)
- FDA Makes Available Results from Second Round of Testing for PFAS in Foods (FDA | Dec 20, 2019)
- Rainwater in parts of US contains high levels of PFAS chemical (The Guardian | Dec 17, 2019)
- North Carolina Scientists, Policymakers Take on PFAS (NIEHS Environmental Factor | Dec 2019)
- Raleigh Students Take on PFAS Pollution (NC Health News | Nov 21, 2019)
- How To Say Goodbye to PFAS (C&EN | Nov 20, 2019)
- The List of Military Sites with Suspected ‘Forever Chemicals’ Contamination has Grown (Military Times | Nov 20, 2019)
- Haw River Assembly to Sue Burlington Over Chemicals in Sewage (Times-News | Nov 9, 2019)
- Top Toxicologist Barred from Saying PFAS Causes Disease in Humans (The Intercept | Oct 24, 2019)
- NC State-led Study Shows Cape Fear River Had ‘Incredibly High’ Levels of Chemicals (N&O | Oct 10, 2019)
- Chemours Accused of Misleading Investors on PFAS Liabilities (Bloomberg Law | Oct 9, 2019)
- To Reduce PFAS Levels in Food, Cook at Home (Consumer Reports | Oct 9, 2019)
- New Analysis Indicates That Toxics Were Present in Wilmington Drinking Water at Extreme Levels (NC Policy Watch | Oct 9, 2019)
- Researchers Document Unregulated Chemicals in Pittsboro Water (WUNC | Sept 26, 2019)
- Concerns Grow Over Tainted Sewage Sludge Spread on Croplands (AP | Sept 12, 2019)
- Denmark Just Became the First Country to Ban PFAS ‘forever chemicals’ from Food Packaging (CNN | Sept 4, 2019)
- Short-chain and long-chain PFAS Show Similar Toxicity (C&EN | Aug 24, 2019)
- Despite A Massive Cleanup Effort, People Near Military Bases Still Can’t Drink Their Water (WUNC | Aug 13, 2019)
- Industry Cities 3M Research on Cancer Patients Exposed to PFOA Claim the Chemical Isn’t So Bad (The Intercept | Aug 12, 2019)
- The Known Unknowns (Endeavors | Aug 6, 2019)
- Regulators Concerned Bottled Water May Contain PFAS Contaminants (Consumer Reports | Aug 1, 2019)
- PFAS Shows Up in Haw River, But Gets Limited Local Attention (North Carolina Health News | July 30, 2019)
- PFAS Battles Spark Lobbying Boom (E&E News | July 24, 2019)
- How Toxic ‘Forever Chemicals’ Made Their Way into Your Food (The Hill | July 14, 2019)
- PFAS Sleuths Seek ‘Forever Chemical’ Fingerprints (Bloomberg Environment | July 7, 2019)
- ENC Health Currents: PFAS Testing Underway In ENC (Public Radio East | July 3, 2019)
- PFAS Levels Spike In Cape Fear Water (Coastal Review Online | June 21, 2019)
- Maysville Holds Meeting on PFAS in Well Water (Public Radio East | June 12, 2019)
- FDA: GenX, 14 Types of Perfluorinated Compounds Found in Produce Grown Within 10 Miles of Chemours (NC Policy Watch | June 3, 2019)
- DEQ finds 20 types of PFAS in compost headed for gardens, farms and playgrounds (NC Policy Watch | May 28, 2019)
- Toxic Chemical Contamination Detected in Charlotte (NC Policy Watch | May 17, 2019)
- Citizen Sleuths Exposed Pollution from a Century-Old Michigan Factory (Science | May 16, 2019)
- New Study Claims 43 States Expose Millions to Dangerous Chemical in Drinking Water (CBS News | May 7, 2019)
- Scientists Dig Into Hard Questions About The Fluorinated Pollutants Known As PFAS (NPR | April 22, 2019)
- Scientists Update Lawmakers on PFAS Research (NC Policy Watch | April 10, 2019)
- Researchers Find Toxic Chemicals in North Carolina Wildlife (Star News | April 9, 2019)
- Should You Be Concerned About PFAS Chemicals? (Consumer Reports | April 8, 2019)
- The hunt is on for GenX chemicals in people (C&EN | April 7, 2019)
- NC Legislature Considering PFAS Ban In Firefighting Foam (WHQR | April 4, 2019)
- PFAS Costs Europe More Than €50 Billion a Year in Health Problems (Quartz | March 19, 2019)
- Pentagon Pushes for Weaker Standards on Chemicals Contaminating Drinking Water (NY Times | March 14, 2019)
- US Government Investigating Food Supply for PFAS Contamination (C&EN | March 7, 2019)
- EPA Says It Plans to Limit Toxic PFAS Chemicals, But Not Soon Enough for Critics (NPR | Feb 14, 2019)
- Worrisome Nonstick Chemicals are Common in U.S. Drinking Water, Federal Study Suggests (Science | Feb 8, 2019)
- The Scientists Tracing Thousands of Fluorinated Chemicals in Our Environment (Nature | Feb 6, 2019)
- Not a Problem You Can Run Away From: Communities Confront the Threat of Unregulated Chemicals in Their Drinking Water (Washington Times | Jan 2, 2019)
- Exposure Study Released in Wilmington (WUNC | Nov 15, 2018)
- Draft EPA Study Finds Newer Nonstick Compound May Be Harmful (AP | Nov 14, 2018)
- Decades-Old Chemicals, New Angst Over Drinking Water (NPR | Oct 2, 2018)
- Pivotal Fall Ahead For GenX Research, Action (Coastal Review Online | Aug 24, 2018)
- Is GenX in the Water? NC Research Project Aims to Find Out (Star News Online | Aug 16, 2018)
- Researchers from Various NC Universities Banding Together to Understand GenX (WNCN | Aug 8, 2018)
- Are Toxic Chemicals in Our Drinking Water? Statewide Testing Should Let Us Know (N&O | Aug 6, 2018)