Progress Report #7 – April 2020
Progress Report #6 – January 2020
Progress Report #5 – October 2019
Progress Report #4 – July 2019
Progress Report #3 – April 2019
Progress Report #2 – January 2019
Progress Report #1 – October 2018
*The full legislation pertaining to PFAST Network can be found here.
Bridging Science & Society: Presentation to NC School of Science and Mathematics Students
December 2019 | Presentation Slides
NC Coastal Federation PFAS Forum
May 2019 | Presentation slides
Presentation to the NC General Assembly’s House Committee on the Environment
April 2019 | Presentation slides
NC State CHHE PFAS Symposium
February 2019 | NIEHS newsletter section with presentation summaries
Presentation to the NC General Assembly’s Joint Legislative Oversight Committee
January 2019 | Presentations slides
Duke / UNC Symposium: Emerging Contaminants in the Ambient Environment
September 2018 | Presentation slides
State and National Government Action
Superfund Sites Identified by EPA to have PFAS Contamination
The U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works has published a map highlighting 180 federal Superfund Sites that were identified by EPA as having PFAS contamination. The list was provided as part of EPA response to questions at the Committee’s March 2019 hearing entitled “Examining the federal response to the risks associated with PFAS.”
NC DHHS Cape Fear PFAS Community Survey (2019)
This survey was conducted to better understand the concerns that people living near the Chemours Fayetteville Works Facility have about exposure to chemicals called per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS).
CDC/ATSDR to Assess PFAS Exposure in Communities Near U.S. Military Bases
The CDC has announced plans to begin testing people who live in eight communities (none in NC) near current and former military installations for PFAS levels in blood and urine samples. Testing is expected to lay the groundwork for future multi-site health study that will look at the relationship between PFAS exposure and health outcomes.
US Congressional Hearings on PFAS
- House Committee on Oversight and Reform: The Devil They Knew – PFAS Contamination and the Need for Corporate Accountability Part II (September 10, 2019)
- Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works: Examining the Federal Response to the Risks Associated with Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (March 28, 2019)
- House Committee on Oversight and Reform’s Subcommittee on Environment: Examining PFAS Chemicals and their Risks (March 6, 2019)
- Senate Committee of Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs: The Federal Role in the Toxic PFAS Chemical Crisis (September 26, 2018)
- House Committee on Energy and Commerce: Perfluorinated Chemicals in the Environment: An Update on the Response to Contamination and Challenges Presented (September 6, 2018)
Other PFAS Research Activities
PFAS Research Highlighted at Federal Remediation Technologies Roundtable | November 2018
The goal of the meeting was to identify and discuss current technologies and the emerging science behind PFAS characterization and remedial technologies.
Silent Spring Institute: States Take the Lead in Creating More Health Protective Drinking Water Guidelines
A new analysis shows variation in the way state and federal regulators manage PFAS contaminants in drinking water, with some states adopting guideline levels that are more health protective than the EPA. The authors highlight the need for enforceable federal standards based on full consideration of the science to ensure consistent protection.